How to Cook Grilled Chicken

[ 12 ] July 17, 2009 |

How to Cook Grilled Chicken

grilling tips

Charcoal Grilling

Grilled Chicken Recipe.  We had a request for a How to Cook Grilled Chicken recipe and How-To video.  The viewer specifically asked about grilling chicken quarters which is the thigh and leg still attached.  We had never really tried thighs and legs and only ever opted for chicken breasts.

So equipped with our new idea, we set out to try a whole chicken to grill.  Our local meat and seafood market, Maxwell’s Market, features fresh local free range chickens.

The butcher recommended to cut the bird into 10 pieces instead of the usual 8: 2 legs, 2 breasts, 2 thighs and 2 wings.

The extra cut basically cuts the large breast in half.  And you know what – it worked out great.  We had 2 extra pieces of white meat.

Cutting the breast in half also made for a perfectly sized meat portion.

Ingredients for Grilled Chicken

Whole chicken cut-up into 8 or 10 pieces
Garlic powder
Tony’s Creole Seasoning
Sea salt (regular table salt is OK)
A flavorful bar-be-cue sauce

Grill
Charcoal
Hickory or Mesquite Chips
Grilling brush or mop
Grilling Tongs

Cooking Directions for Grilled Chicken

Begin by preparing your grill and starting the charcoal.

For a full video on how to start a charcoal grill, please see our video called How to Grilling Tips.

How to Cook Grilled Chicken

Grilled Chicken

Meanwhile, rinse the chicken pieces with water and drain on paper towels or in a colander.

Keep the skin on to provide juicy chicken instead of dried out burnt chicken meat.

Place on a platter or large baking sheet.

Season with garlic powder, sea salt and Tony’s Creole Seasoning.  Sprinkle on both sides.

Place on the grill opposite the charcoal – off the direct heat.

Grill for 25 minutes, then pat on a generous portion of BBQ sauce.

Continue grilling for another 20-30 minutes.

Chicken’s internal temperature should reach a minimum of 160 degrees in the thickest part of the meat.

Remove from grill onto a serving platter.  Allow to sit for 5 minutes or so to soak in the great flavor.

Serving Suggestions for Grilled Chicken

Grilled chicken goes great with our Cajun Potato Salad!

cajun potato salad

Cajun Potato Salad

Beryl Stokes

Beryl Stokes

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Grilled

About Beryl: View author profile.

Comments (12)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Percy J. Benoit Jr. says:

Hi Beryl, Do you have a recipe for a good cajun corn soup. If you have please e-mail to me.
    Just finish cooking your Shrimp Creole.
    It was great.

Thanks

2. Beryl says:

Hi Percy,
    No, I’ve never made corn soup. If I run across a recipe for it, I’ll sure make it for you. I’m glad you liked the shrimp Creole. Thanks for trying our recipes, we appreciate you!
    Beryl

3. Ginger says:

So, what’s cooking for the LSU game tonight? Looking forward to another recipe and film.

4. Ginger says:

Hi. I posted a week or so ago, but it’s not been approved for some reason. I would love to know if y’all are going to continue doing this. Looking forward to some new videos and recipes. thanks

5. Beryl says:

Hi Ginger,

I think we made crab cakes because it was raining. We usually like to grill on Saturday nights.

6. Beryl says:

Hi Ginger, We’ve had to take some time off this summer and fall. We hope to do a few more recipes before long. Thanks for watching our videos!

7. Ginger says:

Cooking for the Florida game?

8. Beryl says:

We went camping the weekend of the Florida game, so we didn’t cook anything special. We’ll have to do something for the Alabama game! Thanks for your note, and thanks for watching!

9. Gary says:

Hello,

My friends and I really enjoy your recipes and the ‘how to videos”! It is a very nice website you have and will recommend it to people who are into this style of cooking. Keep up the Good Work!

Gary

10. Craig Strid says:

Thank you Beryl for your recipes. Being from Northern Wisconsin I have to say their fit for a lumberjack. I am experiencing a Cajun cooking resurgence. Between Jude Theriots salad recipes out of his lo-cal cookbook and your videos. I’m not saying whats for dinner tonight because I’m cooking it. Last night we had are one deep fried meal for the year. I served deep fried catfish, Clairbornes hushpuppies and coleslaw with my homemade Montana wheat bread and the night before I fixed Prudhommes red beans and rice.
    Right now I have your spagetti Sauce simmering.
    Theres a reason for the season and your a blessing.

11. Bhav says:

What kind of dog is that and where do I get one of those?

12. Elaine says:

Hi Beryl & Mike, Love your Cajun Cooking website, keep up the great recipes. Y’all are a joy to watch !