Red Beans and Rice Recipe

[ 7 ] July 19, 2008 |

Red Beans and Rice Recipe

Red Beans and Rice is as Cajun as white on rice. It just don’t get more Cajun! Red beans and rice is a Thursday dish, because it was usually the day before payday (Friday) and folks were usually broke by then. You can feed a big family a fine meal on a just couple of dollars with the Cajun classic red beans and rice recipe.

A bag of Camellia red beans, a ham hock or some sausage, and some rice and you’ve got a dinner fit for a king. When it comes to Cajun cooking, red beans and rice is in the Top 5 all-time Cajun cuisine favorites.

For your complete recipe with video, go to:
How to Make Red Beans and Rice Recipe and Video

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Cajun Recipes

About Beryl: View author profile.

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Brendan says:

Red beans are actually a Monday dish. This was because Monday was the clothes washing day and red beans were an easy dish that required little attention while clothes were being washed. Good recipe though.

2. MarylandMonroe says:

This is fantastic and very easy to make. I fixed it for a group get-together at work and there wasn’t one bean left over. I used canned beans because of time constraints, but otherwise didn’t change the recipe at all. I’ll make it again very soon.

3. Raymond H. O'Rourke says:

I really enjoy your recipes/videos very much and refer to them often. But I must tell you that popular folklore and accepted wisdom has always stated that Red Beans and Rice has historically been cooked on MONDAY not Thursday. As a matter of fact you are the first person I’ve ever heard claim it as a Thursday meal. I was born in New Orleans and lived there most of my life so I know these things LOL! Keep up the good work!

4. Beryl says:

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your comment.

I’ve heard Monday to be the red beans and rice day also.

I think Beryl’s mom and grandmother made it on Thursdays for some reason.

Thanks for visiting our web site and videos!

Mike

5. Thomas says:

Why don’t you make any more youtube videos?

6. Sade R says:

Hey I love this recipe!!! I made it a few times for my family and they loved it. I just got married and I’ll be making this for my hubby on a Tuesday… Who cares what day it’s made on, it’s delicious any day of the week!!

7. Beryl says:

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for checking on us.

Beryl has been having to work a lot of hours at her job, and has just been too worn out to make any more videos for a while.

We do hope to make some more in the future.

We really appreciate you checking in!

Beryl and Mike